Tuesday, July 06, 2010

July 4th Celebration 2010


We had a busy but fun 4th of July celebration. We started off with our mobile home's annual flag ceremony. This is the second year that Jon has been asked to participate. He helped change the flags and then read a statement about the widow who had donated the flag that draped her husband's coffin last year when he died. He was a veteran and so this was a very meaningful gift to our park. After saying the pledge together with others who were gathered, we sang the national anthem. Then we headed home to get ready for church while others took park in the bike parade around the park.

After church we had a restful afternoon before heading back to church for our annual 4th of July BBQ for the 1st CEB's (our adopted Marines). Jon, Joshua and I enjoyed the fabulous food and met some new friends. Then we had a great spot to watch the fireworks put on by the city of San Clemente from the pier.

Monday, Jon and I had the day off, but Joshua was signed up for a basketball camp, so we dropped him off at 9:00 and headed to the Dana Point harbor to walk, talk and enjoy brunch. After a fabulous breakfast, we did some errands and went home to work (me) and nap (Jon). We returned a little early to pick up Joshua from camp and got to watch him putting some of his new skills to practice. He is loving basketball and getting some great exercise at the same time.

I started my new job at our church this week. I am now the Director of Missional Participation. I will work 30 hours a week and have flexible hours, which will work much better for me as a mom. Today I trained our new receptionist and will be helping her out throughout the week, but I meet with the mission elders tomorrow night, so am off and running with my new job. Some mission partners from the Czech Republic are visiting this coming weekend, so plenty of folks to meet and reconnect with. It is very helpful that I was the Chair of the Mission Committee for two years from July 2007 - June 2009.

In case I don't post for a while, it may be because our family is headed to Maui next Thursday for a week. We are celebrating my parents' 50th anniversay. Should be awesome and I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Of course, if you are on Facebook, you'll probably see pictures there first.




Sheryl

No comments: