Thursday, August 28, 2008

Address update from the Jarhed

Just got this from Jon. As soon as I have his new address, I'll post it on the blog then everyone can flood him with mail in honor of Veteran's Day on November 11 or the Marine Corps birthday on November 10.

"Things are going well, I'm plugged back into work, but mightily refreshed after my two weeks R&R (the vacation made a huge difference, and projects that were overwhelming me when I left appear almost trivial now -- though I'm sure there is a diminishing law of returns on my new energy level). I will be working at a different base in the near future, it is a very secure and established work environment, but I've been informed I will be unable to receive mail there until after 1 November. I would ask that you refrain from mailing me anything until after that date -- once a piece of mail gets thrown in the "undeliverable" stack, who knows whether it will ever get to me, and in the meantime it will doubtless clutter up someone's work space. Thanks.

I know there is a constant desire to know how things are going over here, and what the indicators might be that we are achieving success. I experienced an event today which was to me about the strongest indicator that I could have imagined that our mission here is close to accomplished--random periodic urinalysis tests have been implemented for service members here, and mandatory urinalysis tests are required upon return from R&R. This is about as clear a signal as you could wish for heralding the cessation of combat operations (kind of like the number of late night pizza orders at the Pentagon signaled the kick-of of Operation Desert Storm).

Thanks for your prayers and support, and I'll keep you posted."

No comments: