Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hot H2O

"One of these days pretty soon I'm going to be "evicted" from my wet CHU for the incoming high ranking folks, and moved to the transient tents with the "common" masses. The real blessing in the wet CHU these last three months has been that the arrival of the MEF dramatically exceeded the hot water capacity of the shower facilities (and I was not affected). KBR (the contractor) says by contract they only have to provide one toilet and one shower for every thirty people, which is just not enough, particularly when the hot water heaters (each shower facility has eight showers) for each unit are half the size of the average residential hot water heater. Basically, about 80% of the MEF have been taking cold showers for the last 90 days. With my own shower in a wet CHU, I at least have had hot showers (though my water heater is very limited, I have to turn off the water while soaping down, or I run out of hot water in my wet CHU, too). Moving to the transient tent, I'll have to stand in line for a shower, and when I get there, it'll be cold. To be honest, I am not looking forward to this, but I don't mind bearing the same hardships that all the other troops have been enduring for the last 90 days. I AM very thankful for the hot water showers, and do not take them for granted. Semper Fi, JarHedJon"

1 comment:

Kelly Wooliever Lopez said...

Thank you for your blogs...I thank you for sharing parts of your life with us. My uncle is over in Kuwait, and I thank you for the sacrifices your family gives for our freedoms. I saw this blog, and it occured to me that you looked familiar to me. Did you use to teach Math and coach volleyball at Anaheim High School? If you were the teacher I am thinking of, I need to thank you for other reasons, for you made a huge impact on my life. You were my math teacher, and my volleyball coach, and you taught me more than you will ever know. I graduated in 1991 and my maiden name was Kelly Wooliever. If this is you, I would love to hear from you, my email address is Ophelia7773@yahoo.com. Again, thank you for your posts, and I look forward to seeing more!