Saturday, April 17, 2010

Injuries



Joshua had his third injury at school yesterday, but since I never told you about the other ones, I'll report on them first.


On March 10 Joshua came home with the beginnings of a black eye. He had collided with his best friend on the soccer field during recess and his friend's head had impacted him just above his left eye. The next morning he woke up with a bad headache and convinced me that he needed to stay home from school. Within a couple hours he was fine and I was not too pleased about missing work and keeping him home. Oh, well.


The following Monday, March 15, Joshua came home with a swollen pinkie finger on his right hand. He had been playing football during recess and when he was trying to tag a friend, his finger was kicked and the finger was now bluish and swollen. Since he has had jammed fingers before, we iced it and I sent him to school the next day. When he arrived home on Tuesday, his finger was the same size and still causing him a lot of pain, so I called the doctor and we were able to get in that afternoon. Sure enough, Joshua broke a tiny bony in his finger. Fortunately it was not a bad break so the doctor said we just needed to tape it to his ring finger for a month till the bone had time to heal. So that is what we have done for a month.


Yesterday, April 16, I got a call at work from the school at 11:00 am letting me know that Joshua had fallen during recess (soccer again) and his left knee was really bothering him. After speaking with him, I decided that I should probably come get him, which is what the school nurse wanted me to do. Sure enough he was in a lot of pain and could not put weight on his left leg. The nurse wheeled him to the car in a wheel-chair and then I took him to work with me. Things are pretty slow at the church office on Fridays, so I knew it would not be a problem. He spent most of the time reading his Percy Jackson book while icing his knee. I also found a wheel chair so he could some mobility around the office. After a few hours his knee was still too painful to put weight on so I called the doctor and we got a 4:30 appointment. The knee was x-rayed and there was no sign of anything broken. The doctor tested the knee and didn't think there was too much soft tissue damage, so put him in a knee brace and ordered rest, no running and icing for 48 hours. The brace made it much easier for Joshua to limp-walk instead of hopping. We iced for 20 minutes every hour all evening and Joshua slept in the brace. This morning he said his knee feels much better and can walk slowly without the brace on.


I am hoping that we have moved down the body enough so there will be no more injuries -- head, finger, knee -- of course there are still ankles, toes. :) But I am glad that he can get good exercise at school during recess, so I'm not complaining too much.


Of course it changed our plans for today. I was going to get the day to myself since Jon had to go to our house in Orange to deal with the ongoing plumbing problems. He is removing a small palm tree that we think might be the source of the roots messing up the sewer lines. Joshua was excited about going up and helping Jon, but now he is home with me. Sigh! Oh, well, such is life.


Now you are all up to date with our son's injury adventures. At least none of them have been that big.


Sheryl

No comments: