Sunday, May 02, 2010

Busy May 1st


Saturday, May 1st was a busy day for the Morans. Joshua and I were up early so we could get ready for the final mile of the Kids Run the Orange County Marathon. Joshua's age group ran at 9:40 am, but since our school has had a running club for the last 13 weeks and the kids have run 2 miles/week, we all met a the school at 7:30 am for bagels and fruit before carpooling to the Orange County Fairgrounds.

It was cray with hundreds of kids ranging in age from 6 to 13 years old and all of their parents and some teachers. The race was well organized and all the kids were able to get their goodie bags and T-shirts. I was going to run the race with Joshua and the other 10-year olds, but after racing around to get the 11-year olds to the starting track and then doing the same thing for the 9-year olds, I decided to stand on the side lines, take pictures and cheer.

Joshua seemed a bit stressed before it started, but I encouraged him to just do his best. He told me later that he was able to run the entire mile except for a "30 second interval." :) He was tired afterwards but proud of his accomplishment.

Jon was unable to watch the race because he is still dealing with the removal of a palm tree at our house in Orange, which we think is causing problems with the sewer drain. But Jon was able to break away and meet us at our next event.

The FSEA (Future Scientists and Engineers of America) Rocket Competition is an event I used to coordinate back when I worked for FSEA, but now they are part of the Discovery Science Center and so it has grown to something much bigger than I could have ever imagined. The Boeing Company is one of the main sponsors and they host the event on a field in front of one of their Huntington Beach facilities.

It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed seeing a few old friends so it didn't matter that neither of the parachutes on Jon's or Joshua's rockets opened, so they didn't have a shot at winning a prize. We enjoyed watching the hundred of other rockets launched into the blue sky on a perfect afternoon in Southern California.

Unfortunately, although I made sure Joshua was drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated, I managed not to do the same thing for myself. I ended up with a horrible headache by the time we got home and stomach cramps throughout the night. I went to bed at 7:00 pm and slept fitfully through the night but was feeling better by the time we left for church this morning. I feel fine now, but learned an important lesson -- drink lots of water when you are out in the sun. I did use plenty of sun screen, so hopefully no other sun damage was done.

Back to school and work tomorrow, but we all enjoyed a great weekend.

Sheryl

No comments: