Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend 2010


Jon, Joshua and I are enjoying the Memorial Day Weekend in San Diego. Jon was on a ship for a military exercise all last week and has to re-board Monday night. So we all came south for the long weekend and are staying in a Navy Inn at USMC/Navy Base Miramar (former home of Top Gun).


Yesterday we started a game of Euro-rails -- a fun board game that takes many hours. Took a break around noon and explored the huge PX on base. Then it was off to my brother Steve's home to celebrate my niece Elena's 8th grade graduation. We had a great time, enjoying the food and good conversation. Since we had a short drive after the party, we stayed till after 9:30 pm. Woo Hoo! Aren't we the party animals. :)



Today we finished our game of Euro-rails. Thanks to a move by Joshua, who kept Jon from winning, I pulled off the win. After Jon finishes a nap, Joshua gets through more chapters in his book and I get my Facebook and blog posts updated, then I think we'll be off to the San Diego Zoo. Our annual passes expire tomorrow, so this is our last chance to get in for "free."


Tomorrow we'll head back to downtown and see some sights before taking Jon back to his ship for another week at sea.


Being on a military base and in a county that is so full of military members (active and retired) it is easy to remember who we are honoring this weekend. I am so grateful that Jon has survived nearly 10 years of activation by the Marine Corps. God has been very good to us.


Sheryl

No comments: