Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mid-life

Today I turn 45 and I figure that's probably about the middle of my life. Both of my grandmothers lived about 90 years, so I'm half way there.

My celebration actually started Sunday evening when our small group had birthday cake after our dinner. Thanks, Cyndi, for the birthday "sand" castle -- very creative.

This morning the first e-mail I opened included a video from Jon singing "Happy Birthday." The second e-mail included a video of Jon's brass quartet playing "Happy Birthday" to me. It was very touching to have those four guys playing for me and wishing me a special day.

Joshua didn't have a card for me, but when I asked about a gift, he ran to his room and found a couple melted bead designs that he made over the weekend and presented them as my present. I suggested that since it was my birthday we could walk to school together. That is my favorite things to do with Joshua in the morning. He didn't complain, rushed to get ready so we could be out the door by 7:15. It was a beautiful California-autumn morning and we had a wonderful conversation as we held hands on our 25 minute walk to school. That has to be one of the best birthday presents ever.

I got my jog/walk done on the way home and after getting cleaned up met Claire, Nanci and Cyndi for breakfast at Roma's House in San Juan Capistrano -- a quaint little restaurant right next to the train tracks in the old part of town. It was a wonderful way to start my day.

This afternoon I am hosting an after-school play date for Joshua's class. We'll just hang out at the playground on campus. It is a great opportunity for the parents to get to know each other a little bit while the kids play.

This evening will be topped off by dinner with friends, the den Dulks. Enjoying a wonderful celebration of my 45 years of life. I am truly blessed.

Sheryl

No comments: