Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Thanks for the Memories

Jon has been so blessed this week by gifts and memories. Read on...

"The San Juan Seniors are REALLY taking care of me!! Two days ago I received a great package of goodies, extra crunchy peanut butter, jerky, candy, pretzels, cans of cashews, popcorn, and candy. I immediately ate the whole bag of pretzel-peanut-butter sandwiches—they were so good I couldn’t help myself. THEN, yesterday, I received another package from the San Juan Seniors!! This box had lots MORE stuff in it, in addition to three things that I’ve never had (over here), that I’m looking forward to immensely: Googly Eye Gummy Bears, Cheeze-IT twister crackers, and Nacho Cheese dip. Wow. I am so blessed, and quite overwhelmed. I am very thankful, and very encouraged.

Twenty one years ago I graduated from Marine Security Guard School in class 5-85, one of the largest classes in MSG School history (164 graduates). Over the eight weeks of the school, I survived on potatoes that I bought at Food4Less, which I stored (against regulation) in my room one night. There was a ‘hygiene’ inspection the next day, my potatoes were found, and I ‘fessed up publicly to being the culprit. No big deal. Well, a couple days ago I’m walking past the G4 shop here when a Marine stops me and asks me if I was in MSG School class 5-85. Surprised, I acknowledge that I was, and then he says, “I knew it, you’re the Potato Man.” I couldn’t believe it, more than twenty years have gone by and I’m still notorious! Over the years, I’ve run into six or seven Marines from my MSG School class, and they all remember the incident clearly. It turns out there is another Marine here in the G3 that was also in our class, we’ll have to all go to the DFAC for some potatoes in memory of those days."

Sheryl

No comments: