Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Mexico Part 4


It has been 11 days since we got back from Mexico and it seems like so long ago and far away. It is amazing that I live about 90 miles from Anna (pictures here with Annailee). We have so much and often think we need more and they have so little. Something to think about.

The second day of our trip our devotional was entitled "Crossing God's World, Rooted in God's Love." Our verses were John 15:4-5 "[Jesus said...] Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful apart from me. Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing."

The Thought for the day was: "Life is, first of all, not entirely about doing and giving. And contrary to the values of our culture, it is not only about productivity and success. Life is rooted in receiving. It is sustained because so much has been given to us." Our questions for the day were 1) "If 'life is rooted in receiving' what have you received lately that inspires you to remain rooted in Christ Jesus?" and 2) "What do you need to continually receive on this trip in order to be able to give and serve in fruitful ways?"

I asked Joshua these questions that morning after our breakfast of beans, potatoes, and eggs. He was thoughtful a minute and for the first question said, "The Ninja Turtle [I got at McDonald's] cause it was a copy of God's creation." In response to what he needed for the trip he said, "Somewhere to sleep; some time for fun and time to play with kids at the orphanage." I think that's it. We need to sleep -- renew our energy, but after that life is about having fun and playing. I think I get very caught up in being busy, getting things done, but maybe life should be more about gratefully receiving the "Ninja Turtles" that we get each day and then playing and having fun. I don't think it means that we stop working, but maybe we start playing at our work -- enjoying it each day and sharing it with someone else.

Hope you play with a new friend today,

Sheryl

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very wise, Joshua, my pal. After sleeping tonight, I will play tomorrow and then work some and then sleep. That is a very good life God has given us, isn't it.

Pastor Tod