Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I must say that most of my life Memorial Day has just been another holiday -- day off from school or work -- to enjoy with family and friends. Now that Jon is in his second deployment, I view the day a little differently. When our pastor prayed for the military personnel and families yesterday, I knew who he was talking about. Fortunately we do not need to "memorialize Jon" since he is still very much alive, but just under the surface of my independent, calm exterior is the fear of potential danger and loss. I am very fortunate that I can send and receive e-mails from Jon almost every day. And this was the news today -- nothing too dramatic or exciting.

"Well, I left myself plenty of time to sleep last night, but didn't sleep that well, though I'm doing OK for now. It's really frustrating how when I sometimes wake up at night and can't go back to sleep, restless tossing and turning, and then, in the morning when my alarm goes off, I fall asleep over and over and over again between hitting my snooze every four minutes. I guess this is another Murphy's law, the chance of falling asleep is inversely proportionate to the interval before you will have to wake up... Health wise, I'm out of the runny nose phase, now it's all in my head, no cough as yet, I think the headaches I've been having the last two days are sinus related, but none of it is bad enough to slow me down at work, so that is all a real answer to prayer."

Thank you for keeping Jon in your prayers.

Sheryl

No comments: