Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thank you from Al Asad


Jon finally has had enough time to write an update for the blog. The picture is of him and a group of Marines celebrating the Marine Corps' 233rd birthday.

Greetings from Al Asad:

It is a matter of public record now that my unit, I Marine Expeditionary Force, is headquartered at this air base in western Iraq (Al Anbar Province). The mail has finally been fixed, and over the next few days they should be able to get all the mail correctly routed. I'd like to especially thank Steve and Carolyn, my Mom and Dad, Wyndi and her K-class (your Birthday Greetings on the Corps' 233rd birthday are very special) and Sheryl and Joshua for their packages (as I type this message, I'm listening to music because I received the batteries I needed for my MP3 player; I'm eating candy and grub I'm sure I need to supplement my diet--I've dropped to around 175; and I've got a couple good books to read...).

I'd like to thank the folks who took the trouble to actually pen snail mail, in today's convenient world I view this as an intentional commitment to communicate (for which I am the grateful recipient): Uncle Dan and Aunt Glenda, Uncle Ron and Aunt Marcia, Uncle Jim and Aunt Ruth, Joshua who sent me his school picture (he looks SO handsome), Dave and Cathy and their family, Sonny and Sandy, Joe and Helen, Steve and Claire, Chris (I totally dig your photographs!), and Ryan (talk to me about being a Jr. High volunteer when I get back, it sounds like more fun than just being an elder).

Finally, I'd like to thank those whom I consider the most "self-less" writers, whose correspondence cannot possibly be answered in kind--Moto Mailers: Bruce (more than one!), Lina, and Joe.

My life is truly enriched by all of you, and I certainly appreciate your support and your prayers. Oorah and Semper Fi.

No comments: