Monday, December 08, 2008

Catching up with our family

I have been fighting a head cold since Thursday and this morning it feels like it might be moving into my chest. I would appreciate prayers for healing.

Joshua finally had his last soccer games of the season. Most AYSO teams in our region finished the season November 8, but since his team won their championship, they went on to play other regional winners. The team had a rough day Saturday, but came back to play well and win on Sunday, so they were pleased. Of course now he wants to play winter soccer, which goes from January through February.

Here's the latest from Jon: "I'd like to thank Joe and Helen for the great box they sent, M&M's really should be one of the staple food groups, along with peanut butter cups (PBC)... I was able to share the carrot/banana bread with a comrade who had just returned from two weeks of eating packaged rations (MRE) in the "field", both of us enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately, we've had a vector control problem, and four of the PBC were sampled by a rodent (mouse) and had to be discarded. I've since moved my stash into a plastic bag and to a higher elevation, and in the meantime, we've disbursed sticky pad traps in various places. The sticky pad traps are effective, we've caught eight mice so far in this building since September--the problem comes in the dispatch following the trapping. We've developed a humane, efficient method, but I won't go into detail (application of the Marine slogan, "Nobody likes to do it, but somebody has to know how" seems to fit).

I appreciate your prayer regarding my tooth (ache), since the posting (and your prayers), I've had no recurrence of the pain, nor have I had to change my eating/chewing patterns to avoid pain. My guess is it's still a little cold-temperature-liquid sensitive, but not being an Iceman (I generally prefer "cold" beverages at just slightly above room temperature), it's not been a problem. I was able to down the B&R (caramel and pralines?) at the chowhall the other night with no problem, that's the main thing... Oorah. Semper Fi, Jon G."

Thank you for keeping all of us in your prayers.

Sheryl

No comments: