Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Coffee and Pizza

More from Jon:

I realized there are a couple things I have not mentioned yet about this place in general that I find interesting. I know I've mentioned the coffee, but I am still amazed at the sheer number of coffee bars here. They are everywhere, on the main drag, on side streets, in overwhelming numbers. The amazing thing is they all appear to be doing a booming business, it does not appear that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing in Romanian minds when it comes to the availability of small shots of powerful caffeine.

Only second to the cafes are the pizza shops. In fact, adjacent to practically every coffee shop is a pizza joint. Some are fast food, some are closer to restaurants, it is absolutely amazing. The appetite for pizza must be never satiated. Perhaps there is some link between the jitters of a caffeine jolt and the soothing quality of a slice of deep dish slathered-in-cheese and stuff pizza.

I'm not sure what the national dishes are "officially," but in my mind, the ingestable items of choice here are coffee and pizza.

Sheryl

No comments: