Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Elbow update

Thank you for your prayers about my doctor's appointment yesterday. The CT Scan showed a "mildly comminuted radial head fracture with approximately 2.5 mm of depression of a portion of the anterior radial head articular surface." The doctor showed me the place -- very small section in the middle of the top of the radius (bone used for twisting the arm) -- that is depressed. He said it would be very difficult, maybe impossible, to put a pin in to hold the depressed section in place until it heals. He said it would be easier to do a replacement of the top of the radius, but does not recommend it since the bones will heal -- in about 6 weeks and we're half way there now -- and if I can get my full range of motion back that is more important. So the doctor thinks we shouldn't do anything with my elbow right now. He recommended not wearing the splint and getting as much movement back into my elbow as soon as possible. I will go see him again in a month.

I have a physical therapist friend who I will talk with today to get her advice and get a referral in the next couple days for a second opinion. My insurance does cover a second opinion. I actually like the doctor's advice but think I should probably see what another orthopedic doctor thinks.

Going without the splint for a day has reminded me that all of the muscles and tendons in my left arm were traumatized by the accident and have not been doing much for the past three weeks. I had some pain in my arm, but it is bearable and I am trying to take it slow.

More later.

Sheryl

No comments: