Friday, October 17, 2008

Thanks, Mom


Forty-seven years ago my mother had a long, hard labor after being told she should expect me to arrive 3 weeks earlier. Yikes! I arrived at 1:26 am on a Tuesday morning in Chicago, Illinois, a 7 lb. 5 oz little bundle. This picture is of me at 2 months old -- my first Christmas -- close enough.

After I had my son Joshua, almost 9 years ago, I started thinking that birthdays should really be a celebration for the mom. I mean really, what did we do the day we were born? We don't even remember the trauma. But Moms, now they are the ones who work hard the day they give birth and that is just the beginning of the work they will do the rest of their lives.

So, Mom, thank you for all you did that day 47 years ago and all of the days since. Happy Birthday from your first born!

Sheryl

1 comment:

Valerie Jordan Mangrum said...

Happy Birthday, Sheryl. I remember well about important your birthday "month" was! Valerie