Monday, January 21, 2008

Another flight toward final destination

I just got a couple e-mails from Jon and thought I'd post parts of them for you all.

"We got away from [the first Persian Gulf country] with less than 48 hours there, but it was a near thing... We had a 1530 muster with all our gear, and were supposed to head out to the flight line for a 2000 flight, which we did, but the plane had a problem, and we sat there for an hour and a half while they tried to fix it... If you've ever sat in C-130 canvas seating for two hours, you'll know how hard that is on your buns, and two hours was longer than our flight was supposed to be. We finally transferred to another aircraft, and then endured the flight into country, our buns had totally had it by then. Made it into country at about midnight, and I went over and read a little while, then went to bed. I could have gone over to the transient area to watch the game, but didn't really feel like it--instead I read a little and then crashed. We'd missed the first quarter of the Patriot-Charger game anyway, standing on the flight line and dragging our gear to the transient quarters (I think I tweaked my shoulder a little, or maybe I just slept on it wrong--I'm in bad shape, having not PT'ed since early December, so I'm "looking forward" to getting back into a routine which I hope I'll have enough discipline to maintain). I slept pretty much through until 1100, and just finished chow, which was good. I've got one more leg of my trip to make, [hopefully it will be within the next 48 hours]. Well, some things have changed over here, but other things are the same. Generally, though, the changes are definitely for the better, even the little observable things to a Marine in transit."

Thanks for your prayers.

Sheryl

No comments: