Saturday, July 05, 2008

July 4th Celebration in Durango


What a party! Valerie, Bill, Alexa and I had quite a time in Durango last night. After the 20 minute Durango parade, we headed to the stage where we enjoyed an energetic and quite talented country band. They played plenty of country music but also some rock-n-roll -- great songs to dance to. The four of us stomped our feet, clapped our hands and watched for a while. Then Bill took Valerie out on the "floor" (we were in the middle of Main Street) followed by a whirl with Alexa. When a rousing rock-n-roll song started Bill, Valerie and I all danced together, until Jim, a friendly older gentleman stepped in and offered to make it a foursome and off I went with him. He was a fairly good dancer and I am not, but we had a great time. We danced about 4 or 5 songs and I was twirled around until my head spun. It was great fun and good exercise.

A little before 8:00 pm we took a break from dancing and picked up the biggest slices of pizza I've ever had and drank 3 or 4 glasses of water before settling on a bench to watch the folks gather for the fireworks display. We joined the throng standing in the middle of the road to see 30 minutes of fireworks. It was spectacular and just kept going and going.

I have to say that I slept well last night. What a great way to celebrate our country's birth. I only wish Jon and I could have been the ones whirling around in the throng.

I did check on Joshua via pictures from the camp web site and it looks like they all got to enjoy some sparklers after dark. I'm sure he's having a great time.

Sheryl

No comments: