Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A long overdue posting

The past couple weeks have been more difficult than I had expected. Prior to Spring Break I felt like I was doing "okay." But then nine days with Joshua home from school found me feeling depressed and angry. A friend described me as "carrying my picket sign around." Yes, I have a right to be sad, angry, depressed, etc., but is that how I want to live the rest of this year? That is the question I had to seriously consider last week. My first thought was that it would be pretty sad to miss a year of Joshua's life because I was so absorbed in my own head. Then I realized, just like I tell Joshua almost every day, I can choose how I will respond to the life I have.

So I have chosen LIFE -- not just to live this year waiting for Jon to come home; not just wishing he were here; not being angry and resentful about the life I have; but to actually love the life I have. You know the song "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"? Well, I don't approve of that philosophy, but here's my take on it -- "If you want the life you need (what's good for you), then live/love the life you've got." I think I have spent enough time missing the life I have right now, so I am planning to embrace this life from here on.

I will appreciate your prayers and encouragement in the days, weeks and months ahead. But I am confident that the God who is allowing me to have this life has given me the power to live it to the fullest. So here goes...

Sheryl

1 comment:

Sonny Portacio said...

A great post Sheryl! I know that God uses difficult times like yours, to help others. Your perspective was thoughtful, caused me to reflect and sincerely choose how I'll look upon my day, week, month.

Thanks