Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day as done by a Community

Today was one of the best Mother's Days of my life. I was celebrated by so many people for the entire week. On Tuesday good friends from church -- Claire and Pam -- took Joshua on a "secret" shopping trip. Then on Thursday moms from Joshua's school -- Melissa and Rhonda -- presented me with a beautiful and useful Mother's Day gift basket. Saturday, Ken, a father from Joshua's school invited Joshua over to play with his friend Alex for the day. I was able to enjoy a luncheon at my mom and dad's house with friends. I then got to do a little shopping before picking Joshua up. Ken had generously taken Joshua and Alex out to buy flowers for their moms. That evening Joshua was so excited for me to open my Mother's Day gifts that he begged to let me open one. I opened a paper picture frame that he made in school with a picture I had sent to his teacher. It was perfect.

Joshua didn't wake me up until 7:00 Sunday morning and he remembered it was Mother's Day right away. He brought me a Mother's Day poem in Spanish that he could sort of translate. Then he brought out the gift he had gotten with Claire and Pam's help. I found out later that he had picked it out himself. It was a Willow Tree figurine of a little boy holding a gold heart. It was beautiful and I love it.

Jon was able to call us but the connection wasn't too good, so during our 20 minutes we were cut off about 5 times. It was great to hear his voice. The night before he had sent me an e-mail along with a picture of him holding a sign that wished me a Happy Mother's Day. The picture is now my computer desktop.

Sunday at church I had numerous invitations from good friends for lunch or just hanging out. But the winning invitation was from friend Cory who took Joshua fishing on Trabuco Creek. Cory is an experience fisherman and Joshua had the time of his life. He caught his first fish -- an 8 inch rainbow trout. I spent the afternoon on a long walk and then soaked in a luxurious bath. The evening was topped off with dinner at our favorite local restaurant -- Ruby's -- with Claire, whose husband and children were out of town.

What a day! I am so blessed by so many.

Sheryl

No comments: