Monday, June 16, 2008

A fabulous weekend

The weekend started Friday afternoon for both Joshua and me. I dropped him off at his cousin Evan's Rock Climbing Birthday Party. Joshua had a great time and then joined a few other boys in a slumber party (why do we call it that?) with Evan. My sister-in-law said that most of the boys finally fell asleep around 11:00 pm but were still all up at 5:30 Saturday morning. Yikes!

Meanwhile, I was able to enjoy a farewell party for my friend Brenda Friday night. I slept in till 7:00 on Saturday and enjoyed the morning getting chores done before heading to the San Diego County Fair at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. I have never been to this event, although many times I have been stuck in traffic on the 5 freeway due to activities at the sight. Evan's sisters, Elena and Emma, were performing with their church youth choir at the fair Saturday afternoon, so we all met up at the stage where they performed. The kids did a great job. Then my brother's family headed for home while Joshua and I stayed to enjoy the delicious but expensive food and a few attractions. I didn't see many animals, but there were lots of food booths, side shows and carnival rides. Joshua wasn't too interested in the rides, but then a lady offered us 20 unused coupons and so I got Joshua onto the Ferris wheel and a rickety ski-lift type ride that took us over the entire fair grounds -- what was I thinking? We left around 6:00 and about 15 minutes down the road Joshua was out.

On Sunday Joshua was able to talk to Jon before we headed for church to wish him a happy father's day. We sent Jon some cards, but didn't get them in the mail in time for him to get them on Sunday. After church we were invited to join some friends down at Baby's Beach in Dana Point. Our friend, Jim, recently acquired a small sail boat and he took the kids out in the harbor. His wife, Kellie, and I took it out by ourselves and didn't tip over, which was an accomplishment since we didn't know what we were doing. It was a beautiful day and a great way to end the perfect weekend.

After today only 2 more days of school, so there is excitement at our house.

Sheryl

No comments: