Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Joshua's first Bible


This past Sunday Joshua, along with all of the 2nd graders at our church, received a New Living Translation Bible. Joshua has had many Bible story books in his 8 1/2 years of life, but this is his first actual Bible. He had been looking forward to this day for weeks, but I never realized how excited he was to get his own Bible until after he got it.

Parents and Sunday School teachers had an opportunity to sign our child's Bible after the service. Joshua decided he wanted a number of people to sign his Bible. He proceeded to ask the pastor of our Hispanic Ministry and another Spanish-speaking church leader to sign it in Spanish. When I signed his Bible I listed some of my favorite verses and he immediately started looking them up. When he was done he kept asking for more.

Sunday evening after putting him to bed, he called me in about 20 minutes later and I found him in the dark with his flashlight reading his Bible. Talk about making a mom happy. :) But he did need to put it away and go to sleep.

All week it has been the same. Jon e-mailed a list of his favorite verses yesterday and Joshua has been looking them up. If you would like to e-mail or write to Joshua and send passages of Scripture that are meaningful to you, I know he will be thrilled to look them up in his Bible. He and I are having a great time talking about the various verses after he reads them.

It has reminded me of the great gift I have in owning many copies of the Bible in my own language. I hope you are also inspired to read your Bible every day.

Blessings,

Sheryl

No comments: