Sunday, December 03, 2006

Many, Many Thanks

Jon and I both continue to be overwhelmed by the love and care you, our friends and family pour over us. I'll up date you on my pampered-day in a couple days. Here's the latest from Jon's end. Sheryl

Hello, All:

When I started this blog, I thought the primary purpose would be to keep you updated as to what is happening with me over here. That was certainly the case at the beginning. However, as time has progressed, the support and care I've received from you has crescendoed to an almost overwhelming avalanche, almost in inverse proportion to the decreasing noteworthiness of events worth relating on this base. In the last week I've received care packages from: David K. (thanks for the popcorn, Dude); Dave & Kris M. (very thoughtful of you, I look forward to hooking up with you when I get back); some folks at the 1st Baptist Church in Patchogue (thanks for the great mix of stuff, even a double shot Starbucks!); SSEEE, you guys are the greatest (I'm saving the peanut butter Kisses for a special occasion, and having the mouthpiece is cool); and I was totally amazed by Ken and Deanne N. (believe it or not, we--the few folks in my shop--polished off 6 lbs 8 oz of M&Ms in less than 18 hours. We also combined all the trail mix, peanuts and yogurt raisins in a big bin, and all are now addicted to the 'community nut mix,' which we haven't finished off yet, as it is constantly changing composition due to the continuing contributions by all in the shop whenever the level of the bowl drops below 50%). I also recently received some personal letters from the girls of Troop 1258 (Marblehead School), and a whole beautifully decorated "Thank You" loose leaf letter book from a 1st grade class at San Juan Elementary (perhaps the fact that Joshua is a member of the class had something to do with it, but that only increases the meaning vice diminishing it).

According to RUMINT, I have less than three months left to this deployment, which means I am more than 3/4ths of the way done!! Time seems to be flying by (I am always busy, and there never seems to be enough time in the day to accomplish what needs to be done), except when I note the calendar every day to see how many days left there are--then it seems to be dragging. I cannot thank you enough for your prayers, your care, and your support--I know I actually 'see' only a small portion of your gifts to me (the most important ways you support me is by taking care of Sheryl and Joshua and through prayer). My health and safety, though not reported on except in the negative (like, my tooth problem, or low grade cold/flu symptoms, etc.), are very important to me, and things I do not take for granted.

Ok, I've done it again (written a long boring blog vice a short interesting one), but I want you to know how meaningful you are to me!

Semper Fi, Jon G.

No comments: