Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Visit to the orthopedic doctor

Today I saw the orthopedic doctor. He showed me the x-rays from last week and explained that it is hard to see exactly what is broken. He said it looks like small bone fragments could have been smashed down into the bone (ulna I think) from the impact of the car hitting my arm. He has ordered a CT Scan of my elbow to get a clearer picture, so I am waiting for insurance authorization and then we'll go from there. The doctor said that my options could include surgery to repair the bones but that would involve pins which might be too hard to use with such small bones. He also said that by keeping my elbow immobile long enough for the pins to set, the joint could completely freeze up on me and I would lose freedom of movement. He said that if this were a "load-baring" joint, like the hip or knee, he would say surgery is necessary, but it's different with the elbow. He did take off my split and replaced the wrap with a removable one so I can shower (being careful with my arm) and then find someone to replace the wrap. I am so excited about that. So for now I am waiting for the okay to get the CT Scan. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the many cards, e-mails, phone calls, meals, transportation and loving care. I know that I am very blessed.

Sheryl

1 comment:

Sonny Portacio said...

Sheryl,

Thanks for this and your other recent post (tell Jon thanks!). Well written. It must be awful to have to deal with the pain of your elbow especially at this time of year. I'm sure it would still ache at any time of year, but this is a busy time and "should" be filled with celebrations and "comfort". I look forward to spending time with the family coming up!