Sunday, March 02, 2008

Busy lives

Sorry it's been a while since I posted to the blog. There isn't anything new from Jon. He is very busy working long hours. Thank you for your prayers and a BIG thanks to those of you who have sent letters, Motomails and packages. Anything from home is a big encouragement to him. Jon mentioned that he really appreciates newsy letters because it helps him to feel connected to what's happening back here.

I have been very busy with PTA activities this past week. Many of you know about California's budget crisis and at this point it looks like it will mean a huge cut in funding to the public schools. Our district alone has been required to cut $28 million. And so I am helping to lead a letter-writing campaign at our school, encouraging parents to write to the legislature in Sacramento as well as our Superintendent and Board of Trustees. Some days it is a bit consuming. It is encouraging not to feel alone and to have a sense that we might be able to make a difference. At least we have the amazing privilege to communicate with those "in power" to try to influence their decisions, something that millions of people around the world are not able to do, without fear of retribution.

Joshua had a very fun weekend. Saturday afternoon our good friend Mr. Ken and his son Alex picked up Joshua for a sleep-over. Alex has Wii and I believe the boys spent many hours playing together. I ended up doing some of my FSEA (the job I get paid for) work that evening and then watched a DVD before heading to bed early. Today I was able to attend church at Trinity Pres., where I heard an old friend Tim speak. He teaches at a seminary in Istanbul, Turkey. It was wonderful to learn more about the people of Turkey. And after 15 years as an active member at Trinity Pres., it is always great to worship with so many friends even though we have been gone from Trinity for 5 years. This afternoon we met some friends at a new park in town and I got to catch up with my friend Tiffany while Joshua and her son Jay ran and played for a couple hours. It was a very restful weekend.

This week will probably be very busy. We have a special PTA meeting Monday morning to encourage parents to sign letters. Then we'll set up tables on the sidewalks around the campus after school to get the parents we missed in the morning. Tuesday night is the regular monthly PTA meeting. And then the week goes on with other meetings and activities. Fortunately I truly love what I am doing and know that this is God's calling for me right now.

Thanks to all of you who read and pray.

Sheryl

No comments: