Friday, March 21, 2008

Celebrating Passover

Joshua and I did a fun and educational activity yesterday. I really wanted to go to the Maundy Thursday service at our church, remembering the Last Supper when Jesus had Passover with his disciples the night before his crucifixion. Our pastor washes a member's feet, communion is served and every person in attendance is prayed for individually by a pastor or staff member. It is an amazing service, but didn't start till 7:00 and of course goes pretty late, so Joshua and I stayed home.

I decided to try to do something in the afternoon that would give Joshua a better understanding of one part of Passover. At 2:30 in the afternoon we started making bread from yeast. He has heard the Passover story many times but since I NEVER have made "real" bread since he was born I realized that the concept of "unleavened bread" would be completely foreign to him. We had a great time. He thought the yeast was "gross" and looked like "vomit." He kneaded the dough for over 5 minutes and we waited. He loved punching down the dough after the first rising. We made one loaf and 12 rolls and waited again. We didn't get to have our first taste until after 7:00 pm. In the mean time for dinner we whipped up a batch of Bisquick biscuits (not true leaven bread, but the perfect example). Our biscuits were ready in 15 minutes from start to warm buns on our plates. We talked a lot about Passover and I read the Exodus account as well as the Last Supper account in two different children's Bibles. It was such a fun activity and I think it really made an impression, so I just wanted to share.

No comments: