Thursday, March 27, 2008

Three Cheers for WET CHU's

Jon continues to work long, hard hours, although he was able to write a little report about a base he recently visited.

"The temperatures from Sunday to Tuesday were above 100, though Wednesday and today (Thursday) were back down in the mid 80's. On my trip, I learned a new acronym: CHU. I learned there are WET CHU's and DRY CHU's, and WET CHU's are to be preferred over DRY CHU's. I've lived at the base where I am now for a total of over fifteen months, where the living options are known as blockhouses or cans. Blockhouses are concrete barracks buildings constructed by Iraq pre-invasion, and are notable in that toilet plumbing does not permit #2. Cans, so known because they appear to be made of thin aluminum and offer no more protection from indirect fire than a soda can, are ten foot wide by forty foot long single wide "mobile home" type structures, basically, subdivided into rooms of varying size based on the rank of the occupant. Blockhouses and cans are both dependant on Comfort Trailers, which are basically ten foot wide by forty foot long "mobile homes" subdivided into toilets and sinks on one end and shower stalls on the other.

At this other base I went to, they had different terminology, and slightly different options. The concrete structures there are simply called "hardstands." They don't use the word "can," they use the acronym "CHU." CHU stands for Containerized Housing Unit, and some (for higher ranks and VIPs) come with plumbing, making them "WET." The plumbing at this base in hardstands is fully functional, limiting the number of comfort trailers required, except to support DRY CHUs. I was able to stay in a WET CHU (not because I'm high ranking or a VIP, but because I think they were refurbishing some of the other units), and let me say that it was a very posh experience--considering we are in what is defined as a combat zone out here. I had a huge room, a matching press-board wood-laminate covered wall locker/desk/chair suite, a bed frame actually long enough for me with one of those comfy double mattresses on it, and inside my room (kind of like a motel room) was my own toilet, sink, mirror, shower stall, and hot water heater. It was pretty sweet just enjoying not having to take a 500 yard stroll to use the head or take a shower.

So, given the context, if a Marine asks you if you want a WET CHU, the answer would be "YES." However, in a different context, you'd end up getting an already been chewed chunk of chewing tobacco, so just make sure you understand the context :)

Speaking of that other base -- I will probably be moving to that base, probably before my scheduled R&R. This is a good thing, mostly. It is an even safer base, if possible, than the one I'm at. It has a huge chow hall called the MOACH (Mother of all Chow Halls) that has really good food, but it is spread out. The base I'm at has been compared to New York in that no body had a vehicle and you can walk every where. The other base is compared to Los Angeles--you have to have a car to get anywhere, as things are so spread out. All of this is relative, of course--there is a bus system at both bases that goes anywhere you want to go every half hour, so it boils down to convenience. On this base, I never have to wait for a bus and I can get wherever I want to go in minimal time. There, I'll have to wait for the bus, and it will take double the time even if I time my trip with the bus schedule. Of course, if I end up getting a WET CHU, it might be worth it..."

Thanks for your prayers for all of us.

Sheryl

No comments: