Thursday, March 30, 2006

On Being Adopted

Joshua and I are so blessed to have a church community that loves and cares for us. We have family who live 30-40 miles from us and are always willing to help. We have good friends at Joshua's school who care for us. We also have many friends and family who support us through e-mails, phone calls and praying since they can't be with us. We are very well taken care of. And now we have even more new friends who want to "adopt Joshua and me while Jon is gone."

The leaders of the San Juan Senior Club called the reporter who wrote the article about Jon in the Orange County Register to get in touch with me. The reporter sent me their phone number and we connected last weekend. They told me that every year they use their outreach funds to support spouses of Marines who live at Camp Pendleton, but they have never known these women or families. When they read the article in the paper they were so excited because they could adopt Joshua and me and actually get to know us.

Joshua and I visited the San Juan Senior Center -- less then a mile from our house -- on Monday and had a wonderful chat with Ellen, Natalie, Mary Ellen and Kathleen -- some of the board members. They are a very caring group and Joshua and I were so blessed by their generosity. We plan to head to Legoland, thanks to the San Juan Senior Center.

It is a new experience to be on the receiving end of so much love and care, but I am trying to accept it with the same graciousness with which it is offered. Thank you all.

Sheryl

No comments: